Saturday, May 17, 2014

Bliss Is Going To Work When You Didn't Have To! Huh?


Did I mess up, or what?!

As a part time RN, I live for my schedule....  My shifts are given to me about 2 weeks to a month in advance.  So I noted that this weekend I was to work Friday, Saturday, Sunday day shifts all three.  I went to work Friday, and did my shift.  My boss and I discussed plans for the weekend, a long weekend here in Canada, and I remarked I would be working day shift Saturday and Sunday.  I did not check the schedule book to confirm, but went on what was on my calendar at home.   She did not confirm the weekend schedule and took me at my word!

Needless to say, Friday evening was filled with the angst of having to work all weekend, and so I cut the grass and did the laundry. Planning my life and work based on the schedule.  I go to bed at the right time so as to ensure the proper amount of sleep.  I awaken to my alarm and hit the snooze a couple of times to get a little more of that sleep; knowing that I will be having a busy day.  Luxuriating in 10 extra minutes of blessed sleep.  Opening my eyes to the dawn of a beautiful God-given day, I give thanks and hit the floor.

As always, I am ten minutes late getting out of the door.  Plate in hand as I hold my toasted tomato sandwich and kale smoothie, rushing out the door to my car and the 40 minute commute.  It is 6am on a luscious Saturday morning.

I arrive to work to find the full time RN there.

Of course the embarrassed chuckles of "Oh, you ARE here".  The confusion of my schedule faux pas was discovered at 11pm the evening before when a check by the evening and night RN's discovered I was not scheduled.  They DID NOT call to confirm or put me out of my misery at that time!  Allowed me to go through the motions of this scheduling mishap.  I laughed and simply said, "Well better to show up, than to miss a shift!"   I also remarked that it IS hard to get access to the schedule book when working day shift as management have it in their hands most of the time.  Remarked also about the full time gal's lovely hairdo, and left for the embarrassed 40 minute drive home.  Or wast it?

With gas prices at an all time high and an hour and half of unnecessary drive time, I reflected.  I was actually ahead of the game for a FREE weekend off.  Having worked more weekends than enjoyed them, this was actually a gift.  I was washed, dressed (in my uniform which will come off as soon as I get home), fed, awake and able to create this weekend to be anything I want it to be!  Life is good.  The day was waking up, and able to appreciate the spring fauna and flora as I took the long, peaceful country route home.

Arriving home to the happiness of my beloved fur-baby, Daisy.  I quickly rid myself of my work persona, and uniform and returned to bed, to grab some more precious sleep that I had thought lost, now found!

Hmmm...  what else would you do?   New found time to rest and rejuvenate.   Now that is bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment