Saturday, May 3, 2014

A Dogs Love Is Bliss

Do you have an animal companion?  I do.  Daisy chose us 8 years ago.  She had been found by the pound running up and down the streets of our town with her collar and leash on. A rambunctious Jack Russell with energy to burn, she was caught and taken into custody.  Her mug shot in the local paper did not reach, or was ignored by her previous owners. Her energy so huge for a body so tiny.
I remember the day clearly, when I called my cousin, who managed the local animal shelter. I had just come home permanently from a job that had taken me away from my family for most of the year.  Travelling here and flying there.  You may know the kind of job that demands more of your soul than you are willing to commit.  It had been a grueling year.  I was home again and able to define life.  So I decided to get a dog.

I made the call, and asked my cousin, to let me know when they have an adorable little dog needing a home.  She immediately informed me that she had just the thing, but asked if I knew anything about Jack Russell's. I did not.  She told me they are small, but mighty.  They can be a handful. They love to run, and they have energy to spare.  They have a mind of their own, but if they chose you, you would have the most loving, kind and loyal dog ever.  She was warning me and encouraging me at the same time.   My daughter and I just had to meet this little charmer.  And we did.  

I remember we went into the inner sanctum of the shelter, and there was this little cage with this little white dog with a bit of brindle on part of her face and ears.  I had to laugh, because she looked like the lawn ornament my mom had by her back door.  You may have seen the one that barks when you walk by, but all you see is their tail end pointing up out the the flower bed.  

My cousin's opened the door of the kennel and said watch out because we don't know what she will do.  She may bolt out of the kennel and run, so be prepared.  They opened the door and the dog practically smiled when she looked up and immediately rolled onto her back for a belly rub!  That was it!  Love at first sight!  Who could refuse, and immediately this little orphan charmed her way into our hearts.  My daughter had to test drive her, so out into the yard they ran!  She was sleek and funny, and full of life.  She did not run away as was feared, but ran with my daughter in a playful way that was true joy!  She chose us!

It has been 8 bliss filled years.  Through the years, she has never let her size limit her.  She has taken on the biggest and the best, like the time she took on a snowplow whisking snow off the road in front on our house.  She chased that thing a quarter mile down the road before she allowed it on its way.  She kept pace barking and running beside it.  Keeping pace.  My heart in my throat the entire time.  Worrying that the dog would be killed for certain, yet sustaining a minor graze to her left paw.   And... other times, like the incredible mule-like stubborn pulling strength of a dog determined.  Practically ripping my arm out of its socket when going for a simple walk. And...  the ear piercing bark whenever she sees a squirrel.  All endearing of a dog that chose us!

Last night I was awakened by her dream. Snuggled as always on top of the bed but glued to my legs, I was awakened by her muffled sleep barks, and her legs moving as if chasing something in her dreams. Gently reminding me that even the smallest of animals have dreams.  What are they?  Are they reliving their last great chase, or dreaming of dreams and goals, or the next big chase?  Who knows.  I do know that this exquisite creature of love, determination, strength and fearlessness chose us.  Now that is bliss!

No comments:

Post a Comment